Tuesday 15 March 2016

week 5 - 8 DSM role

Week 5 of this course unfortunately due to family circumstances I could not turn up, therefore someone took over my role for a week which meant unfortunately rehearsal notes weren’t typed up.

Week 6 I was trying to find my feet again. I came in early to catch up and get up to speed having missed a week. This followed on to a meeting with Dave to catch up and then into the usual rehearsal process. I briefly helped out in the workshop but as such didn’t have much time before rehearsal. During the rehearsal I carried all the space, this week the focus was on staging and running slick scene changes.

Week 7, this week I came in early, having spent the morning starting to block the script for rehearsal purposes, especially when I am not there the director can use it to reference, I wasn’t able to get into the workshop to work on set. Rehearsal was slightly interrupted due to costume workshops at the adjoining theatre we are working with. Admittedly it was fun as I joined in with the active warm up!

Week 8 was a very busy week, turning up early, I went straight into the workshop to help Ayan with the set. Admittedly there wasn’t much I could help with but nonetheless I wanted to help. Afterwards I had to leave for lunch and then rehearsal, all the set was left in the workshop though as there was still work that needed doing and also it couldn’t fit through all the doors into the mirror room. The scenes were split up and therefore there weren’t many notes to report back. Additionally, this week in the meeting I led it as the SM was absent.

With regards to the lighting SM dropping out, if needed I shall be stepping up to make sure the show runs accordingly assisting the sound SM on the night of rehearsal. The minutes and rehearsal reports over week 6 and 7 and for the 3rd and 4th week of this course I was quick to the mark in getting them uploaded and sent round to the crew. Unfortunately, in week 8 I had other commitments over the weekend that meant I couldn’t upload until the following Monday. Having noticed my errors and the effect it has on the crew not being updated I will make a conscious effort to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Dave sent me feedback over weeks 3 and 4 which I feel I paid attention to and adhered to since receiving the notes in which I can improve.


In my opinion I have been good with timekeeping with a few late arrivals early on in the course, since then I ensured I was in even if it meant I could get on with DSM work individually and be at hand if needed, I feel this has helped as on a few occasions I have been asked to assist. For example week 6 I was called into the workshop for just under an hour before rehearsal to assist with wood cutting as it wasn’t a job to be done alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment